[tab title=”DESCRIPTION”][box style=”grey”]
Duffy & Sweeney litigators have earned a national reputation based on their skill both in and out of the courtroom.
They handle high-stakes cases throughout the country and internationally, focusing their time, energy and skills to understand and satisfy both the litigation and the business needs of our clients.
Our commercial litigation attorney team aggressively and effectively represent clients throughout every phase of the litigation process, from pre-litigation counseling through discovery, trial and appeal, as well using alternative dispute resolution, when appropriate. We use litigation not merely an end in itself, but as a method to deliver the best business solution to each individual client.
Our office is based in the heart of the financial district in Providence, Rhode Island. Contact us at 401.455.0700.
[tab title=”REPRESENTATIVE WORK”]
- In an important decision, D&S represented a leader in floriculture, with distribution capabilities worldwide, against whom a plaintiff brought suit in Rhode Island. The D&S team had the case dismissed for lack of personal jurisdiction and received a written decision from the US District Court for RI which addressed the critical issues and adopted the D&S team’s argument.
- D&S defended a Fortune 100 company in a large and multi-faceted patent case in multi-district litigation in the Central District of California. The case successfully concluded in 2014, after the D&S team obtained a decision on all claims of no literal infringement and invalidated several claims in a combined attack before the Court and the Patent and Trademark Office.
- The firm represented a department of state government in a contract dispute with a key technology vendor resulting in a settlement, avoiding the cost of litigation and eliminating future liability for a savings of over $1 million.
- The firm represented a leading technology company in a dispute over payment for services in designing a website for a sports-related social media client that, after taking possession of its design, refused payment and later brought suit in New York. The D&S team succeeded in securing a ruling from Federal District Court defeating the opponent’s attempt to have the case heard in New York and securing jurisdiction in the client’s home state of RI.
- When a firm client in the music technology and consumer electric products industry was accused of patent infringement, D&S filed a declaratory judgment suit in Florida. The opponent moved to dismiss the Florida suit, but D&S attorneys prevailed, obtaining dismissals of infringement suits filed in Florida and Washington on the same patent.
- The firm secured a $1.2 million judgment, including attorneys’ fees and punitive damages, resulting from an employee’s breach of non-compete and confidentiality provisions in his employment agreement. The case was tried to a jury on behalf of a Rhode Island publicly traded company against its former employee and competitor.