[tab title=”DESCRIPTION”][box style=”grey”]
Business decisions often carry legal implications. Likewise, the way legal issues are resolved affects a company’s ability to achieve its goals.
Our business-focused attorney team goes beyond answering narrow legal questions to provide practical and seasoned legal advice and guidance on issues facing today’s businesses, locally and globally. Our co-founding partner Mike Sweeney was selected by Best Lawyers in America as RI’s 2014 Lawyer-of-the-Year in the category of Mergers-and Acquisitions and, more recently, in 2016 for the category of Closely Held Companies and Family Business Law.
Duffy & Sweeney corporate and commercial attorneys identify and address the critical legal and business growth issues … with a careful eye on the big-picture interests of our clients.
By knowing our clients and understanding their businesses, we create a close, advisory relationship as trusted partners.
Our office is based in the heart of the financial district in Providence, Rhode Island. Contact us at 401.455.0700.
[tab title=”REPRESENTATIVE WORK”]
- D&S represented the members of a leading manufacturer of innovative products for medical applications in the sale of all of the members’ ownership interests to an affiliate of a Japanese company. The multi-million-dollar matter involved high level contract negotiations as well as a real estate component. The firm was able to introduce representation and warranty insurance into the transaction to successfully bridge the buyer’s desire for increased escrows and indemnity amounts and the sellers’ desire to minimize the escrow and indemnity amounts that proved to be beneficial to both the buyer and the sellers.
- The D&S team represented a publicly-owned bank holding company in the acquisition of a registered investment adviser firm. The transaction involved securities matters and bank filings together with registrations and withdrawals under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940.
- D&S represented affiliates of a local holding company in its recapitalization and refinancing of a successful mixed use project comprised of historic residences and businesses in a landmark facility. The transaction involved equity and bank financing which included the refinancing of the original credit facilities that were comprised of both senior and mezzanine debt.
- Duffy & Sweeney, LTD represented a leading Rhode Island based insurance brokerage firm in its merger with a top 100 insurance agency
- The D&S corporate team represented the members of a leading energy conservation and infrastructure company (NASDAQ) in the sale of its membership interest in a multi-million transaction.
- The firm represented a hotel owner in a multi-million portfolio transaction that involved both debt and equity financing. The transactions included the acquisition of five hotel properties in New England and disposition of three hotel properties that significantly advanced and upgraded its property holdings in Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire.
- The firm provided legal counsel and contract negotiations for a comprehensive dictation, transcription and document production services contract for a major healthcare system including voice, dictation, and remote applications for doctors. The new services consolidated four hospitals utilizing different procedures and into one set of applications.
- The firm provided legal advice for an international semi-conductor company’s renewal of a Microsoft Enterprise agreement for a leading integrated circuit manufacturer in a contract that consisted of more than ten integrated sets of terms covering on-site and hosted service offerings. The primary license rights pertained to US operation
- The firm represented a client in a contract matter with a leading hospital that negotiated the exclusive rights for on-site radiology services. The deal is part of a growing trend of outsourcing specialty services in healthcare.
- The firm helped a leading packaging company, based in RI and doing business worldwide, in a corporate reorganization involving redemption and equity investment using senior and mezzanine loans with several major banks. The multi-million deal, which was completed in 30 days, involved novel and intricate structuring of simultaneous redemptions, equity considerations and real estate sale-leaseback plus a multi-million dollar senior and subordinated financings including negotiation of complex inter-creditor issues and coordination of several legal teams in a tight timeframe.
- D&S attorneys represented a major financial institution in the sale of its merchant services business to a subsidiary of a publicly traded credit card processing company and helped transition the silent exit which included a 10-year referral agreement.
- Acting as outside counsel on behalf of a major health insurer in its effort to replace the sourcing vendor for all of its IT functions, the D&S team negotiated terms of the master agreement with three new potential vendors and, ultimately, the new supplier for IT services in a multi-million contract over five years.